Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Beach in February

Sorry the blog updates have been so sporadic. I am alive and kicking over here, though I feel guilty about my inability to really bring myself to dedicatedly track and keep a workout schedule. If I'm quite honest, I'm feeling incredibly apathetic right now and it's hard to bring myself to do much of anything at all, which is doubly bad considering I'm currently living in one of the prettiest regions of France (evidence to follow). I've been sick for the past two weeks with a cold that won't go away and two very big parts of my personal life are doing somersaults and acrobatics they're that high up in the air, and, as a result, I'm just feeling very... apathetic about things. I feel stuck in a corner and I can't really do anything to get out, and, as someone who's usually so proactive and always has a plan, this waiting game is really playing with me mentally.

Furthermore, the half marathon has been canned as my running buddy doesn't feel up to the distance, but, if I'm completely honest with myself and you all, I hadn't been giving my training the 100% that I should be giving it, so it's my fault as well. Still, I'm disappointed in the situation and I'm disappointed most of all with myself for my half-hearted efforts at everything right now. That said, I am going to go out for at least a three-mile run this afternoon (since it'd be criminal not to with the sun shining, no wind, and a 60º day) and at least have accomplished that much. I think we're making crêpes tonight as a rain-checked celebration of the French holiday Chandeleur that happened on Feb 5th, so it'll be a caloric wash. That said, it's essentially France's Groundhog Day and there's a saying that goes: "À la Chandeleur, l'hiver cesse ou reprend vigueur" meaning, that depending on that day's weather winter either ceases or is reinvigorated. I'm pretty optimistic since we missed the holiday because we were on the beach nearby (again, see below). Bye, bye, Winter?

Anyway, now that I've whined to you all, here are some photos to prove why I feel bad about doing so and for wanting to stay in bed all day and watch crap TV. This is what you find if you leave Avignon and take an hour train ride (25€ round trip) to the French seaside town of Cassis. We went this past Saturday to celebrate a friend's birthday.



Pear, Black Currant, and Apricot

Moules-Frites for lunch

I can't believe we're eating outside like this in FEBRUARY! This Ohioan isn't used to this!

The beach. It's like a postcard.


We hiked over to the Calanques, one of the reasons this town well-known in France






Edit: Didn't run... I am, apparently, in fact, a criminal. Instead I stayed in bed, and am now doing a load of laundry before going on a walk with Amy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear girl give yourself a break. You do have tons of things coming your way - you have worked hard on a good solid foundation it will all work out. I love you and am so very very proud of you and all the hard work you have put in. Do enjoy this once in a life time experience and all the great people in your world right now. Prepare for your trip to England. I am feeling so happy to be coming for a visit so you can share this amazing place with us.
Talk to you soon- hope you are feeling better.