Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summertime sickness and my new favorite fruit

First off, I appear to have come down with some random illness in Paris, I'm guessing a sinus infection? Last night, I think I was running a fever because I was absolutely freezing and then ridiculously hot a few hours later... No fun. Thankfully, I was able to sleep most of today and go to the pharmacy to get some medicine. France's health care system is much different from ours at home, a fact that can be annoying since you have to go to an actual pharmacy to get any kind of medication... including advil. On the other hand, for minor illnesses like this, it's actually kind of nice because I was able to go into the pharmacy, tell the pharmacist my symptoms, and come out with a cough syrup and some pills for 7 EUR. AND, *bonus* the cough syrup actually tastes amazing. It's apricot flavored and makes me think of the scene in Mary Poppins where she gives the kids their medicine after playing in the rain.


Thankfully, I'm feeling much better now, though this has reiterated how much more irritating it is to be sick when you're not at home. Example: last night while feeling crummy, I was on the phone with Jon and he suggested I make myself a cup of tea... This would have been wonderful for my throat, but, alas, I don't have tea OR a coffee mug to make it in here, while I have a plethora of both at home. No fun. I swiped a glass and some tea bags from the dining hall tonight though, so it's all good.

As for the favorite fruit part of this post, I just wanted to say that I've finally tried raw figs and, wow, I'm in love. My family in France actually has a fig tree in the yard and we were able to pick some a few weeks ago and since then, I've been hooked. I'd never had a raw fig before and let me tell you, they're fabulous. They're fun to eat, since you can eat the entire fruit and easily break them apart, and they have a light, refreshing taste that's perfect for summer. I'm definitely going to have to keep looking for these babies when I get back home... DELICIOUS. If you've never tasted them before, I highly recommend it. Plus, they're really high in fiber. Win!

That's all I've got for now, folks. Sorry for the random post, but I haven't been on a run since Sunday, what with being sick and all (I miss it). Instead, I've been sleeping and watching True Blood on my computer (why is it that every time I come to Europe, I get addicted to a new American TV show? Weird.)

Night night!