Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 is MY year!

I'm back in France and ready for action. Or at least I will be once this bout of jetlag goes away. For some reason, I'm so much more tired today than all the other flights I've done here—I actually caved and took a 2.5 hour nap today, which doesn't bode well for getting used to France time! Case in point: I'm now wide awake at 4:30am!

December was a rough month, though it's getting a LOT better and I'm really looking forward to all the exciting things that 2011 has to offer. Here are a few goals and things to look forward to in the coming months!

Goal 1: Read at least 20 books for pleasure. That doesn't sound like a lot of books, but I'm really bad at getting off the computer and reading. I need to work on that.



Goal 2: Keep tracking and lose 10lbs. ProPoints is going to be my ticket to a successful year. Goal weight would obviously be ideal, but given the fact that I only had a 4-pound loss in 2011 (though I did lose 2 pant sizes), I don't want to set unattainable goals. I'm very okay with this being a journey and not a fast sprint!


Goal 3: Run my first half marathon. I ran my first 4 races in 2010, so an additional subgoal here would be to try and run at least 5 in 2011.

Here are at least 2:

The course for April 17th Marseille half

I'd also like to run in Cincy's Turkey Trot when I'm home--I've never done it before

Goal 4: Cross train using P90X and my new resistance bands. I'm going to try and run 3x a week to start and want to incorporate at least 2 days of strength each week on top of that.


Goal 5: Ask a guy out on a date. Or at least make the first move. I'm usually more of the wait to be asked out variety (which does happen, I promise!). I'm actually relatively shy when it comes to that sort of thing, so I think this would be a good goal to push myself out of my comfort zone this year.

Beer seemed like an appropriate photo for this since we'll probably drink one together if things go well AND I'll probably need one to quell up the courage!


Goal 6: Get into grad school, find an apartment and move to one of these beautiful cities:

Atlanta

Nashville

Madison

Columbus


Goal 7: The most important and all-encompassing goal: Be Positive.

Is it just me or do plus signs look kind of odd out of context?

Heather @ Leading the Weigh just wrote a post about one-word resolutions. If I had to pick a word for my 2011, it would be "Positive." Dictionary.com shows why in it's first four definitions of the word:

World English Dictionary
positive (ˈpɒzɪtɪv)

— adj
1. characterized by or expressing certainty or affirmation: a positive answer
2. composed of or possessing actual or specific qualities; real: a positive benefit
3. tending to emphasize what is good or laudable; constructive: he takes a very positive attitude when correcting pupils' mistakes
4. tending towards progress or improvement; moving in a beneficial direction

I'm going to focus on the good things (everything happens for a reason) and using this year to keep moving in the right direction in all of the spheres of my life (love, friends and family, health, weight-loss, career). I'm going to take advantage of the new opportunities that are presenting themself to me and make this year the best I possibly can. No regrets!

What are your goals for 2011?