Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving in France: Turkey, Brits, and Skype

I have to admit: I haven't been blogging a lot lately, because I haven't been good with my eating and my exercise and I've been feeling like a huge blob. So, obviously, I've been a bit embarrassed and had nothing I felt like sharing with you guys, my lovely friends in the blogosphere. That said, I'll talk about this in the next post. For now, I want to focus on good things.

What I'm thankful for this year:

My Family
They've been really supportive of all this jet-setting I've been doing lately and with my lifestyle change over the past two years. It's really meant a lot for them to see and comment on the changes.



Jon
I'm so lucky to have found such an amazing guy. I can't believe our one year anniversary is coming up here soon! I was just going to the put the bottom photo since it's funny, but then I stumbled across the top one and it comes from a story that embodies one of the reasons I love him. The sweaty photo is from the day we ran around Dow Lake. It was a really hard run and he was/is in much better shape than me, so he could have done the whole thing without walking, but was really understanding, patient, and supportive of me whenever I needed to walk or was down on myself. He also pushed me to keep going when I got tired and wanted to throw in the towel. In running and in so many things, it's meant so much to have someone be so supportive and encouraging. He really does make me a better version of myself and I hope I do the same for him.



Girlfriends (or friends in general)
Here are a few of my best girlfriends in the world. I don't know what I'd do without them even from thousands of miles away. The bottom picture with Chris is especially important, even if I look gross, since it really shows how much she knows me and wants to be there for me. It's not just any friend that will drive in 2 hours with a pint of ice cream to take you out for beer when you're really hurting. I love you ladies.





French Teaching Assistantship
As much as I miss home and want to go back ASAP, I am thankful for this experience and my adorable kids. I'm learning a lot and making a lot of great, international friends, even if it is hard to live so far away from home.


Running
I know, it may seem odd to be thankful for something I haven't been able to drag myself out of the house to do in over 2 weeks, but still. This year was the year I started running, and I'm really thankful for that. Becoming a "runner" (albeit a slow one) has really changed how I see myself and how I feel about my body. Even if my running didn't come with any weight loss, it amazes me to see all the changes that have come from it, both physically and mentally.


Thanksgiving
More on this later, but I LOVE this holiday and, although it was hard to spend it away from home, I'm so thankful for all the great friends here who turned out and made yummy dishes to celebrate this American holiday, even if they don't celebrate it themselves!



That's what I'm thankful for. In the grand scheme of things, these are the things that matter... Not my running and WW tracking slump. More on that (and my delicious low-fat sweet potato pie) in the next post! Night all!