Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Breaking the Plateau

I'm back from Alabama (I'll put up some photos soon) and, after 4 days of unhealthy eating at such amazing establishments as Five Guys, Niffer's, Mike & Ed's, and Wendy's (the first 3 unsarcastically), we had a food count of 3 burgers, 1 pulled pork barbecue sandwich, and more beer and wine than I should have. But, it was vacation and I wasn't too worried about it since we spent all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday painting, sanding, carrying things etc. Though, despite all the activity, I didn't track and am glad that Tuesday is the start of my WW week.

Now that I'm back in Athens and gearing up for a new quarter that'll start next week, I'm really trying to focus setting out my goals for this last quarter before graduation. I've been at this 170ish-pound plateau since September and, despite my newfound running routine, I've yet to lose any noticeable weight and it's rather frustrating. I know I've toned up, but still, I'd like to see some results on the scale. Jon's lost about 5lbs I think since we've started running and about 20 since November. He looks amazing—not that he didn't in November when I met him, but I know he's pleased. Not gonna lie, I'm a bit jealous (and proud) that the running has made such a huge noticeable difference for him, even if he is annoyed to be between belt loops. That said, Jon and I talked about some different food possibilities for next quarter that could help me out, such as eating a smaller breakfast, eliminating some snack bars and some alcohol, making sure I measure all my portions, and trying to make sure we're getting all 25g of fiber/day. I'm also going to try and add some strength training as well to see if that helps. I think when I'm in Cincinnati this weekend, I'm going to try and pick up a relatively inexpensive food scale to have a better idea with chicken and things. I'm determined to make Spring quarter different from Fall and Winter.

Today, Chris actually gave me a resistance band and few more leg strengthening exercises to do that will help strengthen my lower body. He also had me get a pair of Spenco orthotics to put in my running shoes, so tonight I'll be boiling them and starting to try and break them in. I really hope that between these new exercises with the band and the new orthotics, my knees'll hurt less. Though, I'm sure if I am able to knock off at least anther 10-20 lbs that that'll also help them out a lot.

Anyway, after this weekend, I'm really hoping to kick it in gear between now and June/July. We found out last week that the Study Abroad I'm working on this summer in Paris is a go, so I'd love to be able to fit into a smaller size to do some shopping over there. Oh, and I'd love to be an even better runner by then, since I keep having these fantasies of running in Paris along the Seine... Well, off to weigh in (for the first time in 3 weeks...). I'll talk about the Alabama Runs and my WW update later.