Sunday, March 14, 2010

Week 5, Day 2

Look at me all pumped up for today's run!
I need to figure out a better way to deal with my earbud cord
when I'm wearing this jacket though...
that was a bit irritating.

As promised, here are a few photos from today's excursion on the bikepath. Before starting W5D2, I wasn't feeling too nervous, but the first 8m run kind of had me wondering how the 2nd would go. Jon's finally out and running again and he kept pace with me for the beginning 8m run, but then he continued on jogging when I moved to the 5m walk. The 2nd 8m run wasn't bad either and, like I usually do, I kept running after the 5m cooldown at the end. I've found so far that this is where I really get to push myself. I guess during the podcast I end up being afraid of pushing too hard and not making it the whole time, but then afterward, I put on my own running mix (no offense, techno, but you get kind of repetitive) and keep on trucking, usually making for a 60 minute-ish workout.

Today I was particularly pleased. Sadly, there were no cross-streets today on the bike path, so it's hard to use MMR to see exactly how far I ran, but I know it was at least 4-4.5 miles, since it's a 1/2 mile from the house to even get onto the bikepath and then the first mile-marker I saw was 15.5 and I turned around at the 14. Good enough for me.

The best part of today's run was after when I turned around at that 14 mile marker. Although I briefly ran track in middle school and had to take PE etc. in HS, I don't think I've run a whole mile (without stopping) since then. But, today, I turned around and started running, telling myself that I'd run for two songs (the turned out to be "Thnks fr the mmrs" by Panic! At the Disco and "Rumors" by Lindsay Lohan...my workout mix isn't always the most thought-inspiring music) and then let myself walk. By the end of "Rumors," I'd already passed the 1/2 mile marker, and decided to push myself to the finish. So, thanks to Lady Gaga's "The Fame," and some fun French techno/club music, I made it to the 15 mile marker in under 12 minutes. That being said, I'm alternately looking forward to/dreading the 20 minute run I'm going to attempt tomorrow morning. I know I should wait a day in between, but I'm going to see the trainer at 10am and he told me to run before so that my knee will be sore (if possible). So, we'll see!