Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Introducing... The Scale

As I mentioned last week, one of the main reasons that I suspended my WW membership is because I hadn't been faithfully using the eTools (or really the entire WW program) since I got here in October. Because WW changed the way I live my life and the way I understand food, I've been able to maintain my weight without tracking during that time, but now, I really want to kick it back into gear and lose these last 20 pounds.

As a result, that means I need to start getting reacquainted with another old frenemy. No, not yesterday's bikini... my scale. At home in Athens, I'm used to using a digital, hi-tech, body fat %-telling epic scale (Jon's an EE, he likes cool things). Here in France, I'm cheap (and won't be bringing a kilo scale back to America with me) and use a 5€ scale from Ikea:

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's that accurate (I feel like it's saying I weigh less than I really do), but from now until July, this'll be the bad boy used to track my progress.

I'd been so discouraged over the past year and a half because I haven't lost any more weight (haven't gained it back either), but I haven't been able to motivate myself to really get back on plan in a sustainable, noticeable way either. Two things have contributed to this newfound energy:
  1. After Jan/Feb, I was starting to really feel out of control and was beginning to noticing that my clothes weren't fitting as well as they should be.
  2. I stumbled across Whitney @ Slimming Down for the Gown's blog. Clearly I'm not getting married, but I looked at her progress bar on the right and she started at about my weight and a little over a year later is almost to her goal. What really motivated me was seeing how all of her small weekly losses have added up to such big results. Whenever I see a small loss myself from here on out, I'm going to try and think of her and remember that the little losses DO add up so I don't get discouraged.
On that note, Saturday is going to be Amy's and my official weigh-in day, so stay tuned for that, but unofficially, I weighed in yesterday at 72kg (158.7lbs), so that means I have 7kg (15lbs) to lose in order to get to a healthy BMI.

This is the first time I've measured as anything less than 'overweight' or 'obese,' but I'd still like to get it down to the healthy range (even if everyone likes to say that BMI is outdated).

Anyway, that's all for now. Here's to the start of something new.