Monday, June 6, 2011

30 DC: Day 8 (Satisfied with life)

In the interest of not boring all of you dear readers, I'll try and keep this short and sweet.  Currently, I'm pretty darn satisfied with my life.  That said, I can't think of a specific moment where that realization hit me, so I'll choose another really important one instead. 

June 4, 2010.  The day I handed in my undergraduate thesis. 


My 100-page thesis, written in French (of course), was the culmination of 2.5 years of research and all of the experiences I had during my 4 years of college.  To this day, I've not worked as hard on something or for so long as that hefty little document.  

In the OU HTC, when you enter as a freshman, they instill the fear of God in you when it comes to the fact that you won't graduate without turning in an approved thesis.  For the first 2 years or so of college, as a student, you always have that little panic about not having a topic yet in the back of your head and then, once you do, the fear of actually completing such a daunting task takes over and persists until it's been completed.

Furthermore, while writing my thesis, my life changed dramatically (even if it had nothing to do with the actual thesis writing). I lost weight, started to feel good about being in my own skin, met Jon, started running... did a lot of growing up.  So, on June 4th, when I finally turned it in and knew I'd be graduating college in a week, I was feeling supremely satisfied with myself and my life.  Then we got to go out as a group and celebrate... that didn't hurt the feeling of satisfaction either.  ;)

See? What could be more rewarding than a "Hairy Mexican" shot with friends...
Seriously, worst thing I've ever drank to date.
Sidenote, I can't believe that was almost exactly a year ago!  It feels like no time has past and yet so much has happened!

Speaking of time flying, I'm off to my second to last Monday of teaching my little French kiddies!  How has time gone by so fast!!!