Sunday, May 29, 2011

When I turned 23, I was wearing linen pants

So, today is my birthday!  As of 12:01am CET, I am officially 23 years old!  This is actually the second birthday I've celebrated here in the Hexagon.  I turned 20 in Avignon back in 2008 with a party full of awkward tension and flaming shots.  My oh my it still amazes me to see how much I've changed since then!


As you can tell from the odd title, I think this change can be summed up by the way I rang in my birthday.  I was at Gambrinus, a really chill beer bar near my apartment that I'd never been to (sorry, Jon, I knew the second I walked in you would have LOVED it) with a group of friends.  More important to this story, as you can guess, is the fact that I was wearing linen pants.  


Linen is one of those fabrics that "doesn't lie."  If you've ever been overweight, you know what I'm talking about (coughcough that weird jersey-esque stretchy fabric).  When I was bigger, it was hard to find linen pants that were flowy and loose, like linen pants are supposed to be... So  I just stopped trying them on.  After my jeans success at H&M a few weeks ago, when I stumbled on these linen pants at H&M the other day, I finally felt willing to try a pair on.  MUCH to my surprise, the 12 was too loose in the waist and marginally too loose in the hips... and (though I originally thought they were a bit tight) Rosie convinced me that the 10s were perfect.  So, now I own linen khakis (and can throw out my size 14, torn Gap khakis that I have here).  

Anyway, the point here, is that these are pants I wouldn't have fit into and wouldn't have even tried on 3 birthdays ago.  Plus, because the band is the cutest part of them, I even had my tanktop tucked in... So there's no hiding your figure in that.  

I guess I'm just trying to say that I feel so much better now and it's milestones like birthdays that make you think about it and appreciate it.  3 years ago, I was here and upset because I was trying to date someone who was totally wrong for me, was feeling bad because I didn't like how I looked, and I didn't really see how any of that would change.  Now, as I welcome my 23rd year of life in with my new pants, I can say that I'm in a great place in my life with someone I love who treats me well and I'm so excited about the future.  23 is going to be a great year.  I have SO much to look forward to.  I can't wait for it to start!

On that note, off to bed.  A full day of celebrating 'Me' day on tap for tomorrow! ;)