Friday, May 27, 2011

30DC: Day 4 (The God Post)

From drugs to religion... we're covering ALL the taboo party topics aren't we? ;)

Let's get down to business then! First off, I would describe myself as a religious person. Christian, more specifically Presbyterian.

I grew up in the same church and really came to value the community and family feeling belonging to a congregation provides. I have so many people through the church that I've known for years and have really helped me to become the person I am today.

I guess the best way to describe it would be to say that I am a pretty relaxed Christian. Since I did grow up in the church, my belief in God is an inseperable part of me and I do like to talk about all kinds of religions and beliefs, but I'll never foist mine on you. I actually am personally really bothered by that particular brand of Christianity--it's just not for me.

When I went to college, I spent my first year really involved with the Presbyterian church on campus, a decision that introduced me to one of my dearest friends. Bethany just happened to be serving as a pastor at the church and although she decided to go back to school the year after, she and I are still incredibly close. She did make me promise that I wouldn't ask her to officiate my wedding someday. ;)

In France, church-going is completely different and--I know this will come as a shock--in French. As far as my experience here is concerned, French congregations lack the community/family/welcoming feeling that I feel is SO important for churches and Christians in America. Plus they're almost exclusively Catholic, which is fine, but not really my particular cup of tea. As a result, I don't go to church here.

Jon and I have talked a decent amount about church-going and religion. Although I'm not currently a VERY active church-goer, I am glad that we have similar religious views and that he's not anti-going with me to church. When we move to Columbus, I'd really like us to try and visit some churches and hopefully find one to go to... You know, if we wake up in time on Sunday mornings. It's always good to take that time, think about your week, and to become a part of a 'family' while you're far away from yours.

Overall, my view on religion is pretty relaxed. Personally, I think it's important to have something to believe in. Even if God lets us make all our own choices and if bad things do happen and are out of his control, it's important to me to feel like he's still watching out for us and will welcome us back once our time here's over. I can't accept that we'll never see the people we love again once they're gone. In the meantime, I am just trying to live a good life and to be a good person. I think God appreciates that.