Sunday, April 25, 2010

Gridiron Gallop 5k!

First 5K = SUCCESS!

After a night of not careful preparation (too much food and beer), Jon and I woke up early(ish) yesterday to go run our first 5k together. Thankfully, it didn't rain during the race like we'd feared, so that's a perk. It was just overcast with a slight drizzle at points. We were running a bit late, but since I'd pre-registered, it didn't take too long to get our numbers on and get situated at the 50 yard line in Peden Stadium for the start of the race:

See? All ready for the start!

Quick photo of me in my official 5k runner get-up. This bib is now on my frige.

At 10am, they started the race and off we went. Here's the path we followed:

We run around here (especially the return part on the bike path) all the time, so it was interesting to see how it went. I was REALLY proud of myself. I'm used to running between 12-13 minute miles (occasionally 11) but, according to my un-official iPod measurements my mile breakdown was really surprising. I had been aiming to complete the 5k in under 36:00, so I'm really pumped. My ipod told me that I ran the 5k in 32:45, so these are probably slightly off since my official 5k time was 31:14!!! but here are my mile break downs:

Mile 1: 10:34
Mile 2: 10:58
Mile 3: 10:41

I'm especially pleased with this breakdown since it shows that I was able to maintain a steady pace the whole time on my own. I didn't walk at all and I actually ended up passing some people who started out too fast and ended up walking. This mile pace also tells me that I can definitely push myself harder in training and hit an 11-minute mile regular pace.

Jon was there to cheer me on at the finish line (he finished in 25:28, I'm so proud!) and we went on together to get our tee-shirts and goodie bags. Here's a quick shot we got someone to take of us while waiting in line:

Look at us, all nice and sweaty. :)

This is the snack we got in the recovery tent:

Then, THIS is what we found buried in just MY goodie bag:


I wanted to throw it all out, but Jon's going to pawn it off on people at work. It really is a testament to how much my/our eating habits have changed that when I saw all that food, it disgusted me and I DEFINITELY had no desire to eat it. More oranges and bananas, please!

Anyways, the run was a success. Then, to keep with the running theme of the day, Jon and I drove up to Cbus to get the packets for the half/5k next week. We also used the race discount and picked up 2 free tech tank tops and new running shoes (photos later). I also went and got a second set of running clothes. Exactly the same as what I have, but the top this time is yellow. Woo! I think I earned it. As far as my garmin... still no updates on USPS tracking. I'm getting impatient! Well, that's all for now! C25K = SUCCESS!!!


Dave said...

Wonderful!! Excellent work, and fabulous time. Another month or two of jogging, and you'll be breaking 30 minutes BY ACCIDENT!!

Lynz said...

Awesome Job!!! Keep at it and you will be under 30 minutes in no time ;-)