Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Moroccan Chicken

So, after buying all the ingredients for the Moroccan Chicken recipe I got from WW, I realized that it had been made for your microwave and required a HUGE microwaveable casserole dish (that I don't have). So, the recipe looked simple enough, so I decided to wing it on the stove instead.

Ingredients:
4 5oz chicken breasts cut into 1" pieces
1 red onion, diced
1 yellow squash, diced
4 carrots, sliced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp olive oil (the recipe called for canola, but I didn't have any)
1 tsp cumin (I probably upped it to at least 2)
1 cinnamon stick (I also added ground cinnamon)
1 tsp salt
1 15oz can of chickpeas
1 15oz can of diced tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup dark raisins

1. The original recipe had you mix the cumin, 1 tsp oil, and salt with the chicken, then add the cinnamon and keep it in a bowl. For mine, I sautéed them in the pan and dusted them with a bit of ground cinnamon.
2. While that was happening, I sautéed the onions, carrots, and garlic in the other tsp of oil. (The recipe said to microwave them).
3. Then, the recipe told me to combine the chicken with the veggies and to add the squash, tomatoes, raisins, and veggie broth and to re-microwave until the chicken was cooked all the way through... Problem for me here, since I hadn't read thoroughly and had already cooked the chicken (it was tasty when it was first done... sampled it...) Instead, I mixed it all and let it simmer until it was all warm enough to serve.

Yummy recipe, but I need to either get a big microwave casserole or tweak how I cook it since the carrots were not as soft as I would've liked and the chicken got too cooked. Also, it would have been better with some plain couscous, but all I had was italian garlic, so we passed. Here's a phone photo of the final product (blurry due to steaminess:


Verdict: really delicious and worth the 7 points, but I need to tweak how I prepare it for a better end result. Still, it's fun to try new ideas--I'm always wary of adding cinnamon in savory dishes, but it's delish!

Question:

What are you favorite types of "ethnic" cuisine to cook at home?